Senior Engineering Manager
Lead and manage the Fremont Research and Development Engineering and Document Control Team. This role reports to the Director of Lighting Technology.
PerkinElmer Optoelectronics is hiring an experienced NPI and Engineering Leader for its Fremont CA manufacturing location. As one of 13 global Optoelectronics sites, Fremont manufactures a range of lighting products for the consumer, industrial, mil/aero and medical sectors. Fremont also houses the company’s CermaxÒ R&D Engineering team and is corporate headquarters for the Optoelectronics SBU. For further information, see www.perkinelmer.com
- Manages overall operation of unit to ensure goal/objective achievement directly or through subordinate staff.
- Formulates and executes long-term plans for cost/profit control. Creates, manages, and controls department budget.
- Directs, designs and implements a comprehensive product management strategy. Manages large projects, organization, definition, planning, implementation, and control.
- Directs those involved in the design, modification, and evaluation of all phases of a specific product or group of products from product definition through production and release. Ensures design engineering application programs and customer design-in projects meet specifications, quality goals, target cost, schedule, and remain within approved budgets.
- Leads technical support activities: after sales technical support, resolution of field and application issues.
- Responsible for laboratory operation, equipment, and infrastructure / interfaces.
- Manages all schedules for life test programs, interfaces with internal and external customers about test program schedules.
- Selects, develops, and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function. Manage and motivate for higher performance; increase skills levels.
- The successful candidate will work closely with Product and Business Management units, customers, applications and field engineers elicitation and validation of solution feature requirements and CTQ’s. Promotes use of new technologies and industry-leading trends to product management activities.
- Functions as the central resource with design, manufacturing, quality and test, and marketing as the product(s) move to completion and distribution. The position requires ongoing and critical participation with other internal groups such as Operations and QA in developing and rolling out the preferred products and system solution.
- This position of Engineering Leader is pivotal throughout the development and implementation lifecycle to ensure the solution as developed is consistent with customer business needs.
- Occasional travel is required (up to 20%
- Masters of Science in Electrical, Electro-Optical Engineering or Physics a MUST. PhD preferred but not required.
- 15+ years R & D engineering experience; 10+ years experience in systems design with electrical & optical components.
- Experienced Program and Project Manager, with 7+ years Engineering Management experience in a design engineering environment and a minimum of 30 reports, professionals and technicians.
- Track record handling projects in a global engineering environment.
- Experienced in application engineering and field engineering support.
- Six Sigma, Green or Black Belt certification a plus.